San Francisco, California, United States$65,000 - $80,000 per yearSan Francisco
At Proper Food, we make it a cinch to eat well on the run. We craft our fare by hand fresh every morning the only we know how – with whole, local ingredients sliced, chopped and seasoned with care. Nothing phony or factory-made. Just good, proper fare that’s packed and ready to go.
Proper Food launched in San Francisco in 2014 and has rapidly grown to more than ten locations in the San Francisco area, four in New York City, and a recently opened airport location at SFO. We are continuing to expand with additional locations coming soon.
Our mission is to change the way people eat on the go. We cook all our meals from scratch each morning and deliver them to our stores pre-packed and ready to go. At the end of each day, all unsold meals are donated to local food banks.
As HR Generalist, you will work with Proper Food’s managers, leadership and outsourced HR advisors to oversee all administrative HR functions. The HR Generalist is responsible for providing HR support to Proper Food’s operational leadership. This role reports directly to the CEO, working closely with the Executive Chef and Area Directors.
You will be on the ground floor, building the internal HR department (with the support of our outsourced HR advisors) in a start-up with all the excitement and fast-paced change of a high-growth company.
If you are passionate about people, great food, and creating outstanding work environments, this may be the position for you.
Hiring, onboarding and off-boarding: Take full responsibility for the employee life cycle, including onboarding and off-boarding. Onboard new employees – administering all paperwork, supporting orientation and ensuring they are properly entered into our HRIS. Ensure all off-boarding procedures are followed and final checks are received in accordance with local policy. Assist with recruiting job descriptions, job ads, and screening candidates, as necessary.
Administration and Compliance: Ensure all policies and procedures are current and compliant with local, state and federal laws. Maintain updated employee handbooks, employee files, workplace posters, and policies. Support payroll process, trainings, and benefit administration including open enrollment. Oversee workman’s compensation, leaves of absence, and be a resource for managers and employees.
Partner with Store & Kitchen leadership to support high performing teams: Support operational leadership with administration of performance management processes and training programs.
- Develop the HR function: Develop and implement systems and processes to make our operations more effective and efficient. Consistently assess HR processes and recommend improvement opportunities.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation, including salary of $65,000 - $80,000 (dependent on experience)
- A hybrid work environment – can work remotely ~60% of the time, with regular visits to the commissary/ store locations
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- The opportunity to play a key role in growing a rapidly expanding concept and the tremendous personal growth that comes with that.
- Highly organized and systematic
- Detail orientation – you appreciate the importance of error-free work and have the systems/ processes to deliver it
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong self-direction and time management skills
- Positive energy – you enjoy what you do and it shows
- Full accountability and resourcefulness – you always make sure the job gets done despite any challenges that come your way
- The highest standard of honesty and integrity
Specifically, you must have:
- 2+ years’ experience in a human resources environment, preferably in hospitality or retail, leading both hourly and salaried employee populations.
- Required: Intermediate or advanced proficiency with Spanish language
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field.
- Preferred: HR Certification such as the SHRM-CP or PHR.
- Preferred: Proficiency in ADP Workforce Now.
Proper Food provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Proper Food celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.