Human Resources Manager
At Proper Food, we make it a cinch to eat well on the run. We craft our fare by hand fresh every morning the only we know how – with whole, local ingredients sliced, chopped and seasoned with care. Nothing phony or factory-made. Just good, proper fare that’s packed and ready to go.
Proper Food launched in San Francisco in 2014, earning accolades from customers, food critics and local media. We have rapidly grown to nine locations in downtown San Francisco and just launched our first store in New York, with several more to open in 2019. We cook all our meals from scratch each morning in our commissary kitchen and deliver them to our stores pre-packed and ready to go. All unsold meals are donated to local food banks each day.
This is a key leadership role in a rapidly growing organization. As Human Resources Manager, you’ll be responsible for partnering with our Kitchen and Store leadership to support the hiring, development and performance management of our team both in San Francisco and NY. This role reports directly to the CEO and works closely with the Executive Chef/Head of Operations and the General Managers of both markets.
Hiring and onboarding: Onboard new employees – welcoming them, providing orientation, and administering all paperwork. Assist with hiring processes as necessary.
Administration and Compliance: Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal laws. Update and evolve the Proper Food Handbook. Create and maintain HR documentation. Administer benefits and payroll.
Partner with Store & Kitchen leadership to develop high performing teams: Implement processes and coach managers on performance management, conflict resolution and communication. Collaborate with Managers to resolve employee relations issues. Provide HR policy guidance.
Develop the HR function: Develop and implement systems and processes to make our operations more effective and efficient. Consistently assess HR processes & services and recommend improvement opportunities. Collaborate with executive team to strategically impact our talent, team and culture.
What Makes You Great
- Ownership mindset and self-direction – you take the lead
- Organized and detail-oriented – you have systems and processes to keep everything running smoothly
- Proactive, resourceful and scrappy – you always find a way to make it happen
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Unwavering honesty, transparency and integrity. Warmth and positive energy – you care and it shows.
Specifically, you must have:
- 5+ years of Human Resources experience with an hourly workforce. Familiarity with multi-unit organizations in retail, hospitality and/or restaurants. Management experience.
- Fluency in Spanish and English, both written and verbal
- Strong knowledge of HR laws, compliance and regulations
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation with medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employee discount at all Proper Food locations and free shift meals when working onsite
- Flexibility to work remotely for part of the week
- The opportunity to play a key role in growing a rapidly expanding concept and the tremendous personal growth that comes with that.