Food Safety Manager (HAACP, PCQI, SQF, USDA)
At Proper Food, we make it a cinch to eat well on the run. We craft our fare by hand fresh every morning the only we know how – with whole, local ingredients sliced, chopped and seasoned with care. Nothing phony or factory-made. Just good, proper fare that’s packed and ready to go.
Proper Food launched in San Francisco in 2014 and has rapidly grown to eleven locations in San Francisco, four in New York and a recently opened airport location at SF International Airport. We are continuing to expand with additional locations coming soon.
Our mission is to change the way people eat on the go. We cook all our meals from scratch each morning and deliver them to our stores pre-packed and ready to go. At the end of each day, all unsold meals are donated to local food banks.
The Food Safety Manager will report to Proper Food’s Executive Chef and work hand-in-hand with our Commissary Director to manage food safety and quality in our central commissary kitchen in Bushwick, Brooklyn. The Food Safety and Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for developing, implementing and managing the quality programs, procedures and systems that ensure the highest level of quality and food safety of our products and ensure we meet all appropriate certification requirements.
If you are an experienced food safety leader, passionate about quality and consistency, and energized by the idea of being part of a rapidly growing business, this may be the position for you.
Develop, implement and ensure execution of quality programs: Work with 3rd party consultant to develop and implement SQF program. Monitor and manage ongoing processes to ensure all food is consistently of high quality, well presented, and prepared in accordance with HACCP and SQF guidelines.
Maintain compliance with all Proper Food and local/state/federal food handling and sanitation standards, including logs and documentation. Ensure that all systems and processes are consistently followed and documented. Ensure that all labels meet retail/ wholesale labeling requirements. Lead regular audits, conduct mock recall trials and report findings. Compile and present monthly reports as appropriate.
Proactively prevent, investigate and resolve customer complaints: Understand customer complaints, identify causes, take corrective action where necessary and complete relevant documentation. Identify and proactively prevent potential food safety/ quality issues.
Maintain relationships with relevant 3rd parties: Collaborate with 3rd party food safety consultants as appropriate. Maintain communications and collaborate with food safety contacts at our vendors and our wholesale customers.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation, including base salary and performance bonus. Starting rate: $80,000-$90,000 per year.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- A sparkling new kitchen built just for you and the team
- The opportunity to play a key role in growing a rapidly expanding concept and the tremendous personal growth that comes with that.
What Makes You Great
- Detail orientation and absolute commitment to quality
- Highly organized and systematic – you enjoy the administrative parts of the job
- Exceptional communication and project management skills
- Positive energy – you enjoy what you do and it shows
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- The highest standard of honesty and integrity
- Passion for simple food made from seasonal, sustainable, organic ingredients
Specifically, you must have
- 2+ years of quality assurance/ food safety experience in the F&B industry
- Understanding of food processing and restaurant operations, as well as a strong knowledge of food safety compliance
- HACCP, PCQI, SQF, or USDA systems experience required
- Experience executing food safety management systems including lot tracking, SOPs, HACCP and good manufacturing practices. SQF experience is a plus.
- Excellent professional references
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office