Commissary Operations Manager/ Chef de Cuisine
At Proper Food, we make it a cinch to eat well on the run. We craft our fare by hand fresh every morning the only we know how – with whole, local ingredients sliced, chopped and seasoned with care. Nothing phony or factory-made. Just good, proper fare that’s packed and ready to go.
Proper Food launched in San Francisco in 2014 and has rapidly grown to ten locations in San Francisco and four in New York. We are continuing to expand with our first airport location opening at SFO this summer as well as additional locations in Menlo Park and Mission Bay.
Our mission is to change the way people eat on the go. We cook all our meals from scratch each morning and deliver them to our stores pre-packed and ready to go. At the end of each day, all unsold meals are donated to local food banks.
The Chef de Cuisine/ Commissary Operations Director will work hand-in-hand with Proper Food’s Executive Chef to manage our central commissary kitchen in South Sann Francisco. You will take complete responsibility for the effective and efficient operation of food preparation and packaging in a commissary kitchen environment. This is not your typical job. You will be part of a start-up, with the all the excitement and ups-and-downs of writing the first chapter of the next big thing.
If you are an experienced chef who is a natural leader, passionate about quality and consistency, and energized by the idea of leading a high growth concept, this may be the position for you.
Leadership: Take full responsibility of the operation from start to finish. Maintain positive team morale and ensure that the Proper Food values are being upheld.
Employee recruiting, management and development: Hire, train, schedule and manage all kitchen staff to maintain consistently high quality. Manage basic HR admin including checking employee punch-ins and PTO paperwork. Foster an environment of open communication, consistency, and teamwork - where employees take pride in their work and enjoy what they do.
Food quality and safety: Ensure all food is consistently of high quality, well presented, and prepared utilizing HACCP guidelines and procedures. Maintain compliance with all Proper Food and local/state/federal food handling and sanitation standards, including logs and documentation. Ensure that all systems and processes are consistently followed. Maintain a clean, safe and orderly environment.
Administrative and analytical support: Calculate and document food cost and nutrition information. Maintain and organize digital files for recipes, food cost and nutrition information. Support Executive Chef in the end-to-end process for seasonal menu changeovers.
- Ordering and receipt of food and supplies.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation, including salary of $75,000 - $90,000 (dependent on experience)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- The opportunity to play a key role in growing a rapidly expanding concept and the tremendous personal growth that comes with that.
What Makes You Great
- Passion for simple food made from seasonal, sustainable, organic ingredients
- Highly organized and systematic – you enjoy the administrative parts of the job
- Exceptional leadership, communication and management skills – known for teaching & developing others
- Detail orientation and absolute commitment to quality
- Positive energy – you enjoy what you do and it shows
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and work in a fast-paced environment
- The highest standard of honesty and integrity
- Full accountability – you always make sure the job gets done despite any challenges that come your way
Specifically, you must have:
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including:
- Use of organic, sustainable, local ingredients
- Management of kitchen staff
- High volume food preparation
- Bilingual in English & Spanish a huge plus!
Proper Food provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Proper Food celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.